Monday 12 June 2017

C'est la vie

Last week I lost a much loved cockerel. Yes I am very attached to all my birds! I am sure it was a fox. He was out in the field with some hens and I know he would have died protecting the girls. The girls came home ok. He was a very big chicken so I am surprised he was caught. It must have been a big fox!

Today I was sitting quietly at home doing some crochet when I heard the other boys alarm call. I rushed into the garden and realizing they were in the field below I headed for the bank in time to see a fox run from the higher field down to where my chickens were grabbing a girl en route! I slid down the bank under the barbed wire shouting and clapping ( foxes think it is gunshot). The fox dropped my chicken and ran into the woods. I rounded everyone up and did a headcount. All were there but the chicken who was caught has awful wounds on her back. She has been eating ok and moving around but I am concerned I will lose her.

On a positive note I have two broody hens. They have six eggs between them! I have put them in the omlet house on top of the puppy cage. I have put wire around the house and tiles across the door. This enables me to check them and give them food and water. I will turf them out once each day. The issue is to stop other girls going in to lay eggs. I need them to hatch at the same time. Hopefully in three weeks I will see some fluffy chicks! There is something really lovely about seeing them hatch and watching them grow! I currently have three boys but could gain more when these hatch! I will keep them all as I cannot bear to think they could be killed and eaten!

Yesterday I met an English lady who shares my passion for ditching chemicals and all things green. She has a B&B in the next village. I feel we will become friends! Most people who know me just smile at my principles! This does not bother me but it will be good to compare notes with someone who understands what I am trying to achieve!

Tomorrow my brother in law and his wife arrive and will stay just over a week. This is always difficult as they are materialistic, the complete opposite from us. This will be the first year though that I do not feel stressed about my building site. I have made it look as good as I can and that will have to do!

The honey extractor arrived today so at some point this week I hope to collect the first of this years honey.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the chickens. Hope things are going OK with your in laws! Good luck with collecting the honey.

    ReplyDelete