Sunday 2 April 2017

The decluttering bug

.....has bitten. I am well and truly hooked! In my previous life, when I worked full time and was climbing the corporate ladder ( how long ago that seems), I had black tie company dinners. Each event I would buy a new outfit, money was abundant then! Over the years I accumulated many posh frocks, fancy shoes and evening bags. All matching of course. Most I only wore once! The shoes were kept in a box with the bag to match. A box for each set! Yesterday I put in the charity bin 17 boxes of almost new shoes and bags and my posh frocks! I have thought about this for ages having spent a lot of money on it all! I had a little go at selling some of it but no takers! Being deep in rural France no one else has need of such things! So they have gone and I feel happy. My previous life was all about shopping and owning! No matter where I live I will never need such fancy outfits again. I have two dresses with jackets that will sit in my wardrobe for any weddings I go to and have kept the shoes that go with them! I have come to the conclusion that I do not need constant new clothes. With my slimmed down wardrobe my new policy is that I will only replace what wears out. I no longer have the money for clothes shopping like I used to do and I no longer need that many clothes! When the time comes to fit out my walk in wardrobe it will be easy to remove what is in there! For now the shelf unit and clothes rail easily hold my stuff!
I will apply this new found skill to other areas of my building site that badly need it!
My remaining challenge is to get him indoors on board as he always thinks things may be needed one day!
It seems to me our modern world encourages us to buy things we do not need. Maybe it is my age but I do not need so many things now! I read on a decluttering blog that if it is not useful, beautiful or loved we should not own it! That is what I am trying to apply now! If I ever have to move house again I will only need a small lorry!

2 comments:

  1. What will power, Aly! I have stuff from more than twenty years ago and haven't worn any of it in at least the last ten years. I should take a page out of your book.

    ReplyDelete